The use of condiments on Keto is essential for mixing up your food choices, so you do not get bored and cheat. Some very basic condiments can knock you out of ketosis because of the added sugars and highly processed oils. There are so many positive choices and there are just as many bad choices. So, I am going to give you a list of some of my favorites to try and to give you examples of some very popular condiments that I would not use. Again, label reading is your Keto friend because, as we have discussed before, hidden ingredients can hurt your hard work and progress thus far. Some condiments that are not good for ketosis, can be made from scratch at home if you really enjoy them in your diet. Let’s get started.
Here is the list of good condiments that can enhance your food and keep you on track.
- Butter: my go-to condiment for meat and veggies
- Olive oil and vinegar or Vinaigrette: for salads or marinades for meat and fish
- Mayonnaise made with olive oil or avocado oil: dips, dressings, and salads, (tuna, egg, etc.)
- Tabasco or hot sauce: add a splash for an extra Kick
- Soy sauce: great for marinades and stir-frys
- Mustard: remember, no “honey” in your mustard
- Aiolo: meat, fish, and veggies
- Guacamole: Taco Tuesday or any Mexican night
- Ranch dressing or dip: Just good on anything
- Blue cheese dressing: for veggie tray or salads, and wings
- Hollandaise Sauce: great on steak and asparagus
Below is the “say no to” list of condiments. Remember you can make these at home with keto-friendly ingredients. The store-bought ones are the culprit, because of hidden ingredients.
- Ketchup: Be aware that sugar-free may really not be sugar-free
- Barbecue sauce: Make it at home to eliminate the sugar, also, try dry rubs.
- Maple syrup: you know why
- Honey: Honey is great food, just not on Keto
- Tomato paste: full of sugar and carbs
- Jelly and Jams: Loaded with carbs and sugar. Try fresh strawberries, blueberries or blackberries with some heavy whipped cream.
- Salsa: Make this at home to avoid a high carbohydrate count.
I hope you have liked this post. I grew up in the South and our meals were pretty plain, so I am trying new things and hope you will, also. Remember, you are what you eat, so let’s Eat Clean. Keto On!