I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but if you are hungry and did not bring your normal Keto-friendly breakfast or lunch with you, let’s find something acceptable to eat. In this fast-paced life we lead, things happen, but we can save ourselves from going out of ketosis. There are some things that you can eat, maybe not ideal for the Ketogenic Diet, but do not let yourself get so hungry that you go on a binge.
I personally have not eaten at a fast food place for 7 months, but I do frequent them for my son. I have scanned the menus of a few to get an idea of what I would order if I was starving to death! No, it is not my favorite Big Mac but will tide me over until I get to the safety of my home-prepared foods. Yes, I was a fast food junkie before Keto changed my life, so it frightens me a bit to even think about eating that way again. Sometimes we have to bend a little and have the ability to control our emotional eating and cravings because we know it is so bad for us. So, let’s see what we should choose if we are in a pinch.
- McDonald’s: I just picked this one since I mentioned a Big Mac earlier. For breakfast, you could try the Egg McMuffin, without the English muffin and choose sausage or bacon. If you have a hankering for a burger, choose a Quarter Pounder with cheese wrapped in a lettuce leaf with no ketchup. If they cannot wrap in lettuce, just ask for no bun and eat it with a fork. If they happen to give you a bun by mistake, immediately dispose of it so you will not be tempted.
- Chick-Fil-A: Famous for their chicken, but it is mainly fried. They have grilled chicken nuggets and that would be the one to choose, but no dipping sauces or you could get a grilled chicken salad with no dressing. Remember, you can always have mustard, but not honey-mustard.
- Sonic: This place really makes me want a milkshake, but the most I will order for myself is a Diet Coke. There are much fewer acceptable Keto friendly items to pick at Sonic. Personally, I would go with breakfast because they serve it all day. A breakfast sandwich without bread would be my go-to. Egg, cheese, and meat in a container to eat with a fork would be my choice. No sides, though.
- Wendy’s: Burgers at Wendy’s have Keto options, such as lettuce wrapped burgers or served in a container. Add a side salad with no dressing and you are all set. If you decide on chicken, the grilled chicken club is really good in a lettuce wrap. You must not get it with honey mustard and must eat your salad dry.
- KFC: Go with a grilled chicken thigh and a side of green beans with no biscuit. This is very filling and the best option at KFC.
As you have seen in this post, you can eat Keto at fast food restaurants occasionally, but I would never make it a habit. The food is not organic or grass-fed and may upset your tummy since you have been eating clean, but if you need to eat, just choose wisely. Read my previous post about condiments and the hidden sugars for more information on your choices. I hope this information has been helpful to you.